Monday, February 11, 2008

Robinho and Futsal

12/02/2008Robinho & Futsal
Robinho Futsal interview (exclusive) Tuesday 5th February 2008FAI Futsal National Coordinator, Derek O’Neill caught up this week with Real Madrid’s Brazilian superstar Robinho in an exclusive interview to chat about how he developed his mesmeric ball skills and mercurial footwork. Robinho is a perfect example of the type of skilful player that the game of Futsal can help to produce. With numerous underage leagues around Ireland now beginning to adopt Futsal as part of their winter programme, Robinho had some words of encouragement for those who have taken to the “beautiful game” of futsal. Read on…Derek: Tell me about how you developed your football skills as a child…did Futsal have a big influence on the development of your football skills as a player?Robinho: A lot. I started playing Futsal when I was four years old and most of the moves I use on the pitch come from playing Futsal. Playing Futsal as a young child really helps to develop ball skills.Derek: Do you think the skills learned in Futsal are easily transferred to the outdoor 11 a side game?Robinho: It depends on what age you transfer to outdoor football. In my case, I think it worked out very well. When you are a child, it’s easy to learn and develop skills through Futsal. I found I could transfer my Futsal skills to the outdoor pitch very easily because I played Futsal until thirteen or fourteen years of age before I began playing outdoor football. Derek: Do you think that Futsal can be a help to children in Ireland who are trying to learn the skills of football? How important is it do you think that children begin with Futsal?Robinho: I have no doubt it will help. In Brazil it works very well because Futsal is well established and everybody plays it from a young age. I hope that Futsal can develop well in Ireland because no doubt it will be a great help to children here in the development of their ball skills and quick thinking.Derek: Looking forward to the 2010 World Cup, which team will be the greatest threat to Brazil winning the World Cup?Robinho: It’s difficult to say who’ll win the World Cup because anything can happen in this tournament and football is an unpredictable sport. No doubt, that Argentina and Germany will at least get to the quarter finals. And of course, teams like France and Brazil are usually favourites and are always capable of getting to the final.Derek: Would advice would you give to young Irish children who have ambitions to be a professional football players? Play Futsal?Robinho: Yes of course, play Futsal and dedicate yourselves to the game and some day you may be lucky enough to have a chance to play professionally.Interview by Derek O’NeillTranslation by Marcos Cordeiro
Derek O’Neill and Robinho (Photo courtesy: FAI)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Just want to congratulate Robinho to become a great profissional futsal player and an excellent coach.I guess it runs in the family... I remembered watching you and your brothers playing futsal for GMCosta em Pocos de Caldas-MG.What a great team!I knew you guys had something special back then and I am so happy you did well. Godbless!!!